
Let me tell you a little bit about my day so far. One of the very first sounds I woke up to this morning was one of the medical students throwing up in the bathroom. A really great thing to wake up to. All three of the other med students here from USC are having "stomach issues." I personally am attributing it to the chicken they bought at the market and cooked last night. No, not chicken breasts, an entire chicken - feet, intestines, heart, head, eyes, the whole package. They didn't wash the chicken before they cooked it or wash the counters very well after cutting off its head and preparing it. Thankfully Maggie and I have evaded this problem so far!
After dressing in scrubs and gathering some supplies Maggie, Laura (the throwing-up med student who has been here for 8 weeks), and I caught a taxi to Hospital Viedma where I will be working. After dropping the supplies (mainly child's soap since the nurses have been bathing the children with Dawn dish detergent) at the Burn Center we entered the huge hospital to meet with the chief doctor, Dr. Montano. He was late, typical Bolivian style, but finally arrived and spoke perfect English - phew! He was very interested in what we wanted to get out of the experience and what areas we wanted to work in. Then he asked us if we had noticed how empty the hospital was. He then began to inform us that many of the doctors and hospital workers were on strike! Apparently no healthcare workers have been paid in two months because the government is lacking funds. However, more than once the president's recent, extravagant trip to the World Cup has been mentioned. I couldn't really understand how doctors could go on strike so I asked Dr. Montano a few more questions. He explained that the doctors stopped coming to work, so the hospital will not accept any new patients, regardless of their condition, and the patients that are currently hospitalized are cared for by family or workers who aren't striking. This obviously has major repercussions throughout the city as people will die from lack of healthcare. I'm not sure how long this strike will last but pray that it is resolved soon before many have to die.
After our tour of the hospital, Maggie and I returned to the apartment by taxi and changed out of our scrubs for lunch. We ate at Lia Lia, a Chinese restaurant. The food was amazing! Now I am sitting here with my Coca-Cola Light researching what I can about the Bolivian healthcare system and enjoying the breeze and the view of hermoso Bolivia - beautiful Bolivia.
I'm glad to hear you made it to Bolivia safely! It sounds absolutely breathtaking. I am, however, saddened to hear about the problems Bolivia is having with its healthcare system. Hopefully the conflict will be resolved soon, but until then, I'm sure the hospital staff will be doubly grateful to have you there!
ReplyDelete¡Lávese las manos (y la comida! jajaja!)
Sinceremente, Kara
so glad you have a blog and I can't wait to hear updates about your trip! =)
ReplyDeleteI love it!! You did a great job on your blog!! Every day will be a reminder that you are not in the USA!! love you
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed reading about your day!! Cant wait to see more updates. So interesting about the health care system and sad as well. Stay safe and we will be praying for you!
ReplyDeleteI love the updates. Keep them coming..Buena suerte con lo español.
ReplyDeleteI love your updates, Meg... good job! We'll be praying for you! We know you'll do great and have fun!
ReplyDelete