Hola! Right now I'm sitting at the kitchen table while Maggie is making some papas fritas (french fries) for our dinner. Mmm. Today was a very relaxing day. I actually slept almost 11 hours last night! When I finally awoke, I laid in bed for almost an hour reading To Kill A Mockingbird. I haven't read it since high school, and I am really enjoying it this time around. By the time I got up to shower it was already 10:30, and I was so thankful to have a hot shower. We spent the rest of the morning around the apartment while Juana prepared an amazing lunch for us. She made rice and black beans, sautéed zucchini, homemade french fries (Maggie is trying to duplicate them right now), and a salad of tomatoes, onions, and cheese. It was excellent! After lunch we decided to attempt to shop at the Cancha again, this time with Juana, an expert, as our guide. We had a fun afternoon walking all around the different shops, and ended up walking all the way to the post office, which is surrounded by another market. Most of the stores are closed on Sundays so it wasn't as crowded. I didn't end up purchasing anything, but I love just walking around, seeing different parts of the city, and watching the people.
On our way home we walked by this little icecream truck parked right in the middle of a roundabout (you can see it in the picture). The lady let us sample the different icecreams, and my favorite was pomelo - grapefruit! So we each got a cone and sat in the park to enjoy. It was so, so good! While we were sitting there we had a little entertainment. Let me preface this by saying that I have so far avoided commenting on the driving here in Cochabamba, however there are no stop signs, red lights are mostly ignored, and pedestrians do not have the right of way. Amazingly, I have yet to witness or experience an accident, which I honestly consider miraculous. Well as we were buying our ice cream two cars came speeding down the street. One had the back fender dragging on the ground and the other had it's front bumper crushed. It wasn't hard to figure out what had happened - the car in front with the crushed front bumper had obviously crashed into the other car and sped away. Well eventually the other car caught up with him and I'm not sure how it all resolved but there were a lot of people running around, shouting, and cars beeping... Who knows?
Well, tomorrow we are going back to the hospital so I should have some more interesting stories to tell. I can't wait, maybe I'll even get to talk to someone!
No comments:
Post a Comment