This morning we woke up early enough to visit the Saturday Market. We walked a few blocks down from our apartment, after a morning greeting to the dog that lives in the street outside our house, and arrived at the market. The Saturday Market consists of rows and rows of stands that people have set up, selling everything from fish to toilet paper to clothes hangers. I decided that it was time to try to do some cooking so I purchased some cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, pasta, and broccoli. Then we walked back home to drop off our food before heading to the main market in the city, called the Cancha.
The Cancha is about a twenty minute bus ride from our apartment, so when we finally arrived I was ready to walk. The Cancha is not like the Saturday Market, it is probably ten square miles piled with tons of people selling and buying. It was quite an experience just walking through it! I did end up buying a few gifts for people. One woman was selling Bolivian blankets, and since I was interested in buying one she stuck close to me while I browsed. Every blanket I touched she quickly pulled out of the pile and unfolded, holding it out at arms length and describing in detailed Spanish all the worthy qualities that particular blanket possessed. Needless to say I decided to buy one, since she went to all that work, and since it only cost 23 Bolivianos (about $3). Maggie took this picture of me in the market getting pushed around and hassled by so many people who I couldn't understand. Hence, the title of this blog, a phrase I should have learned before attempting to shop in the market, "You are too close to me!"
We finally felt satisfied with our purchases, including 25 oranges for 6 Bolivianos, so we boarded the bus for the trip home. Even though the bus ride home was very long, I really enjoyed looking out the window and watching the people go about their day to day lives. Notice the little girl with the ponytail in this woman's back pack. When we got home I cooked lunch using the veggies we had purchased earlier at the market.
Addie would like for you to rescue the puppy as her gift (please give it a bath first!) Love, Mom
ReplyDeleteYou can give the dog a bath, but please do not bring it home to Addie.
ReplyDeleteMegan, that same dog has been at the corner since 1998 when we first arrived in Bolivia. He must have nine lives at least. He used to jump up at the window of the fried chicken restaurant Papa Gallo next door and look longingly at everyone's plate of food..........I do not think he has ever had a bath or his hair shaved!!
ReplyDeleteit just occurred to me that he might be a son of the previous dog who used to sit at the corner........either way they have owned that corner for many years
ReplyDelete